Memorial Service at the Appomattox Confederate Cemetery April 7 2013

April 10, 2013  •  Leave a Comment

United Daughters of the Confederacy Memorial Service at the Appomattox Confederate Cemetery was held on Sunday afternon April 7 2013.

The cemetery contains the graves of 19 soldiers (18 Confederates and 1 Union) who were killed in the last days of fighting at Appomattox Station and Appomattox Court House. On May 18, 1866 a Ladies Association was formed to insure proper internment for soldiers who had not had proper burials. The land for this little cemetery was donated by Mr. John Sear, and the land clearing began. Most of the wood for the coffins was donated and men from the town of Appomattox constructed them and dug the graves.

The Ladies Association later developed into the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The Appomattox United Daughters of the Confederacy was chartered on August 22, 1895 with 22 members and was the 11th chapter in the nation. The Appomattox United Daughters of the Confederacy has owned and maintained this cemetery since that time. In April of every year a Memorial Service is held at this cemetery to honor these soldiers and all soldiers who have fought for their country and the causes they believe in. 

Link to the gallery - http://www.zenfolio.com/oakhillstudio/p994555501

UDC Memorial-4

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...
Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September (6) October (6) November (6) December (8)
January February (1) March (4) April (6) May (3) June (4) July (1) August September October November (2) December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February (1) March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December